Oakwood Solicitors
  • « Back
  • « Back
  • « Back

Foreign Bodies
in the Eye Claims

Have you received
negligent treatment?

  • Decades of combined experience
  • No-Win, No-Fee
  • No upfront cost or hidden charges
  • Straight-talking and friendly advisors
  • No-obligation consultation and claim assessment
  • Support and advice whenever you need it

Make a claim now

Call for a free consultation

0113 2900 9720

or fill out our contact form

    * Required fields


    Easy to talk to.

    It was easy to talk to the people here. They kept me informed. Really happy with the results.

    - Client

    My faith has been restored

    Oakwood Solicitors were very impressive, they kept to each timescale and informed me at each step as to what was happening. Very pleased with my outcome. I would without hesitation use them again for any claim.

    - Client

    Handshake Image

    'No-Win, No-Fee'

    agreement available on Foreign Objects cases.

    Shares Icon leaders certificate awards

    Decades of combined experience

    in Medical Negligence litigation.

    Client care

    Caring and empathic

    team members dealing with your claim throughout.

    The experts in Medical Negligence Claims

    Oakwood Solicitors Ltd’s specialist Medical Negligence department has an in-house team of Solicitors and legal professionals dedicated solely to this area of law. With decades of combined experience, we are dedicated in assisting clients who have suffered physically, mentally and financially as a result of negligent medical treatment.

    The specialist team pursues an array of medical negligence claims ranging from Prescription errors and misdiagnosis, to complex birthing injury and spinal claims and everything else in between.

    What can cause a foreign body in the eye?

    A foreign body can get into the eye in various ways, whether that be a fragment of wood, or a shard of metal or ceramic splintering off at work or during DIY. As a result, tradesmen are at a greater risk of this happening but it can happen in various accidental circumstances.

    What symptoms may indicate that something is in my eye?

    Initially a foreign body in the eye can result in:

    • Pain
    • Scratching feeling
    • Blurred or loss of vision
    • Sensitivity
    • Watering
    • Bloodshot eye
    • Headaches
    • Double vision

    Identifying foreign bodies

    If you suspect that a foreign body may have entered the eye via any means, it is important to seek medical advice. Foreign bodies, if not identified and removed, can result in the delay of any symptoms subsiding and can result in further complication in the future.

    It can often be very difficult to identify foreign bodies in the eye, particularly if they have entered at high velocity and may have penetrated the eye. For this reason it may be necessary to use specialist machinery operated by an Ophthalmologist (specialist eye doctor) to identify such foreign bodies.

    How can negligence occur?

    Failure to diagnose or a delay in diagnosis can occur as a result of a failing to carry out necessary investigations, such as x-rays and examinations using specialist equipment when attending A&E, thus causing the injury. It can also result from a lack of referral for specialist care or appropriate follow-up care.

    Effects of delay in diagnosis and treatment

    Delay in diagnosis can cause various issues, such as the development of infection. It is unlikely the foreign body would be sterile and the presence of bacteria may result in infection if not removed and the eye cleaned.

    Scarring can also occur if the foreign body is a fragment of metal, as chemical reactions with the liquid in or on the eye can cause a ‘rust ring’ to developed around the fragment, which may be more difficult to remove than the fragment itself and require additional treatment.

    Effects on sight depend on the extent of the injury and the delay. The delay can affect the outcome of treatment and whether full recovery is possible. Negligence can result in prolonged avoidable issues with sight in the eye, to permanent loss of vision, impaired vision, sensitivity or loss of depth perception.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    How do I make a claim?

    If you feel that you or a family member have suffered as a result of negligence caused by your care provider, you may be entitled to bring about a claim.

    If you have personally suffered the negligence, you may bring about a claim in your own right. However, it may also be the case that the person who has suffered has passed away or they may be unable to bring about a claim themselves as they no longer have capacity.

    In such circumstances, a claim can be brought about on their behalf either by an appropriate person or litigation friend if the individual is still with us, or by the executor of the estate of surviving dependant if they have passed.

    Our team will be able to assess on the prospects of your case and whether you would be eligible to make a claim.

    How long do I have to claim?

    Claims of this nature are subject to a three year limitation period. This means that claims have to be commenced within the Courts in three years of rather the date the negligent act occurred or the date you became aware that negligence had occurred.

    In cases involving deceased victims, this limitation period commences from the date of death and in cases involving minors, the limitation period starts when they reach their 18th birthday.

    The law surrounding limitation periods is complex. Our specialist team will be able to advise further.

    How much is my claim worth?

    It is often difficult to value claims at their outset, given the complexities involved. However, we will pursue two forms of compensation for you:

    General damages – for the pain and suffering you have endured as a result of the negligence.

    Special damages – for all of your out-of-pocket expenses such as travel expenses, medication costs, loss of earnings, treatment costs both past and future.

    Fatal Accidents Act claim – for cases involving the death of a loved one a claim under the fatal accidents act may be able to be made which allows (in certain circumstances) for a statutory bereavement award.

    This list is not exhaustive and is very case-specific.

    Why should I choose Oakwood Solicitors Ltd?

    We have a dedicated team of solicitors and paralegals who have many years’ experience between them in running cases of this nature. They are highly trained to deal with all aspects of clinical and medical negligence.

    Oakwood Solicitors Ltd wishes to ensure that clients are not overwhelmed by legal jargon or medical terms that they don’t understand and aims to allow the claims procedure to be as transparent as possible.

    For some examples of successful cases and claim amounts awarded, read the case studies featured here.

    What do I do now?

    If you believe or feel you have a claim, contact us for a no-obligation consultation regarding your options.

    Carol Cook
    Carol Cook — Head of Department

    Carol Cook joined Oakwood Solicitors in May 2017 to lead the Medical Negligence department. She handles a wide range of Clinical and Dental Negligence claims and has a specialist interest in Birth Injuries.

    Carol has years of experience in handling complex clinical and Dental Negligence claims securing substantial amounts of damages for her clients. Carol studied her law degree (LLB honours) at Salford University.

    You are leaving Oakwood Solicitors' website.

    Please click here to continue to the Oakwood Property Solicitors' website.

    Property Transfer house graphic


    This website uses cookies. You can read more information about why we do this, and what they are used for here.

    Accept Decline