Oakwood Solicitors


Make a claim

Home » Personal Legal Services » Employment Law » Redundancy

Being made redundant or even put at risk of redundancy can be a highly stressful time, particularly if after years of longstanding employment you find yourself in this position.


Can my employer make me redundant?

Redundancy can be a potentially fair reason to dismiss an employee. As part of a fair redundancy process, employers must be able to demonstrate they have taken all reasonable steps to avoid making redundancies (for example by demonstrating they have already considered other measures such as reduced hours, ceasing overtime, pay reductions, offering other vacant roles to the staff affected, etc.) An employer should also consult with their employees before making redundancies.

However, sometimes redundancies can create unfair dismissal claims.

An unfair redundancy could arise if you have been selected unfairly for redundancy, a fair redundancy process has not been followed or a redundancy situation did not exist in the first place but you have been made ‘redundant’.

If you think your redundancy is unfair or likely to be unfair (if you have not yet been made redundant) contact Oakwood Solicitors as soon as possible so that we can be by your side from start to finish.



Am I entitled to redundancy pay?

If you are an employee and you have more than two years’ continuous service with your employer, then you are entitled to a statutory redundancy payment. This is calculated by reference to your age and the length of your employment.

Tip: The government website has a useful redundancy calculator which you can use to work out the redundancy pay you could expect to receive if you are made redundant.

Please note, you may be entitled to a higher amount of redundancy pay if your employer offers Company redundancy pay. If you need help calculating your redundancy pay entitlement please contact Oakwood Solicitors as soon as possible.


I have been made redundant but I have not received any redundancy pay. What next?

If you have more than two years of continuous service with your employer, you are entitled to a statutory redundancy payment.

If your employer has not paid you your redundancy pay, please contact Oakwood Solicitors to see how we can help in claiming your redundancy pay.


I have been offered a Settlement Agreement. Is this the same as redundancy?

Sometimes an employer may offer an employee a Settlement Agreement that includes a redundancy payment as part of a package.

If you have been offered a Settlement Agreement please contact Oakwood Solicitors as soon as possible to see if there is room for negotiating a higher settlement figure.


Why choose Oakwood Solicitors Ltd?

You will have a dedicated advisor who will see your claim through from start to finish, assisting you in the event of any queries or issues you may have. If it is preferable to you, we are able to assign you one of our female advisors to carry out your claim.

Your case handler will also continue to provide regular updates until the conclusion of your claim, ensuring the process is as stress-free and effortless as possible.

A full breakdown of Fees and categories can be found here.


Please contact Oakwood Solicitors Ltd as soon as possible for a free initial review of your potential Redundancy claim. Choose one of the methods on the right-hand side of this page, or call us on 0113 200 9787 to find out how we can help you.

Get in touch

Quick Facts

  • Dedicated and highly skilled Employment Law team
  • All personal claims undertaken
  • Free initial advice from a qualified solicitor
  • High success rate for clients
  • National coverage

Get in touch in a way that suits you:

Call us on 0113 200 9787 or

Request a call back

Use our Enquiry form to get you on the right track:

Enquiry form

Reach us by email:



This website uses cookies. You can read more information about why we do this, and what they are used for here.

Accept Decline