Oakwood Solicitors

Personal Injury Trusts

Home » Personal Legal Services » Wills and Probate » Personal Injury Trusts

People often don’t realise that if you have been awarded compensation from a personal injury claim or from your insurers directly, you must also consider whether you need to protect your compensation.

If you or your partner are in receipt of a means tested benefits such as Jobseekers Allowance, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, Income Support or Universal Credit, you may not be eligible for those benefits once you receive your compensation. The way to protect both your compensation and yours or your partners eligibility to means tested benefits is to consider a personal injury trust.

We will assess your situation and consider whether you require a personal injury trust. We will recommend the type of trust that suits your needs, help you to choose your trustees and we will prepare the trust document and provide guidance to your trustees as required.

Should you not have any suitable persons to act as your Trustees, we offer a Professional Trustee Service.

Crucially, any damages held in a trust will be disregarded when assessing your means tested benefits. As a result, you quite rightly have access to your full personal injury compensation and your means tested benefits.

You should also consider making a Will. Your personal injury trust will come to an end at the time of your death, forming as part of your estate.

Get in touch

Meet the Head of Department

Charlotte Bandawe

Solicitor and Head of Wills and Probate

Find out more

Get in touch in a way that suits you:

Call us on 0113 200 9787 or

Request a call back

Use our Enquiry form to get you on the right track:

Enquiry form

Reach us by email:



This website uses cookies. You can read more information about why we do this, and what they are used for here.

Accept Decline