What to do if hit by an Uninsured Driver

 In Road Traffic Accident

With the number of uninsured drivers on the roads of the UK soaring by 10% in just a year, it is enough to worry anyone, whether a driver or a pedestrian. Evidence suggests that uninsured vehicles are consistently used to conduct wider criminal activity and are more likely to be involved in a collision than an honest insured driver.

The Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB) came into force in 1969 to help protect innocent victims of accidents arising from uninsured and untraced vehicles. The MIB is a none profit organisation and is funded through Insurance Companies. Each Insurance Company pays a premium to the MIB to cover the cost of the claims.

The MIB will compensate for personal injury and also in some cases property damage such as the repairs to your vehicle.

If you have comprehensive insurance it would be advised to claim for your vehicle repair through your own Insurer. This is because a fully comprehensive insurance policy would cover the cost of an accident regardless of liability. This would mean your vehicle would be repaired quickly and you would be safely back on the roads in no time. It is possible to claim for your vehicle repairs through the MIB, however it could just take a lot longer.

If you are unfortunate to be involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, it is important to obtain the following:

  • The full vehicle registration of the other driver.
  • A full description of the appearance of the other driver such as age, sex, race, height and hair colour.
  • The make, model and colour of the other vehicle.

When our firm receives these details we will carry out a search on the Motor Insurance Database to check for insurance details. If there are no insurance details found we would then submit the claim to the MIB.

When the claim is submitted to the MIB they will then carry out investigations to establish the facts and then decide if they will make an award for compensation. They will obtain evidence to help with their decision such as checking for police reports, analysing the engineering evidence of both vehicles involved and also checking for independent witnesses. They may also ask for further evidence from yourself such as a witness statement or for you to draw a diagram of the accident.

If you pay an excess or your no claims discount is affected by the accident, we can also claim this back from the MIB.

If you are claiming for personal injury, they may also request that you attend a medical examination for a medical expert to create a report confirming the nature of your injuries.

Here at Oakwood Solicitors, we will deal with the whole claims process for you on your behalf. We will discuss the accident with you over the phone, taking all the relevant details and then contact you with regular updates on how your claim is progressing. You will also be given the direct dial of the person dealing with your claim so that you may contact them directly at any point if you have any questions. We will continue to advise you throughout the claim and ensure that you receive the best settlement figures and the compensation you deserve.

Recent Posts

Leave a Comment

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt